Contest and Giveaway: Name my Fictional Town
I’m doing something different (for me, anyway). My usual method of writing a novel is to get to know the characters and situations and things and then pick out names later as they strike me.
But as I was planning the Harrington series (linked stories about two sisters and a brother who fall in love—with other people, that is—in a small town in British Columbia), the characters started naming themselves left, right, and center.
Weird. But I like it!
I know the town they live in, as I live in one very much like it… *wink*. Still, on the pages of my manuscript, this quiet little town so prone to hilarious incidents and simmering secrets has the unflattering moniker TOWN.
Normally, this would be fine. I don’t know what’s gotten into me, though. Maybe it’s that all the characters have chosen proper names for themselves right from the start. How can Jocelyn and Adrian, Adhelle and Blake, and Skeet and Lia possibly be living someplace called TOWN? Doesn’t it just seem wrong somehow?
Well, this can’t go on any longer! So I’m asking you, dear readers, to help me name the Harrington family’s little hometown.
What’s in it for you, you ask? :-)
- Everyone who suggests a name for TOWN in a comment on this post will have a chance to win an autographed print copy of the first book of the Harrington series.
- The person suggesting the winning name will have a character named after her/him (nice or not-so-nice, winner’s choice, if the winner would like that).
- This contest starts 7:30 a.m. August 7, 2013 and ends 12:00 p.m. August 17, 2013 Mountain Standard Time (GMT minus 7 hours).
- This contest is void where prohibited by law.
- To enter the contest, you must make your suggestion for a town name in a comment on this post.
- Just so everything’s absolutely legal in Canada, the winner(s) will be required to answer a skill-testing question (hint: it will be 1+1=___). Canadian contest law is kooky like that.
- The winner of the autographed copy of the book will be chosen randomly by the slips-of-paper-in-a-bowl method.
- The winning town name will be chosen by me (Susan Lohrer) on the basis of which one works best for the series.
- Entrants’ information will not be used for anything other than contacting entrants to arrange shipment of the book to the draw winner and/or discuss naming a character after the entrant with the winning town name.
- The winners will be announced in a comment on this post August 17, 2013.
Want to be notified about my new releases? Sign up for my newsletter (it's short and sweet and comes out about twice a year). Happy reading! :)